Comparison of Pediatric Care at CHCs During COVID-19 Compared to Previous Year
Key Takeaways from Data*:
Well Child Visits:
- Compared to the previous year, well-child visits fell sharply in March and April, but by late spring visits were rebounding across all age groups.
- CHCs prioritized well-child visits for children ages 0-4 during the peak months of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Behavioral Health Issues Identified at Well Child Visits:
- Beginning in April, the proportion of well-child visits where behavioral health issues were identified was higher in 2020 compared to 2019. By August 2020, this proportion had fallen to levels similar to 2019.
Behavioral Health Visits:
- Although behavioral health visits also decreased as compared to the previous year, the decline was less pronounced than for well-child visits. The rebound in behavioral health visits was also sharper, with more BH visits in June-Sept 2020 compared to 2019.
- Relative to other age groups, a greater percentage of behavioral health visits occurred with school-aged children and adolescents during the COVID-19 pandemic as compared to 2019.
* Data are aggregated across 2 of the Cohort 1 TEAM UP CHCs